The content of this blog, including my art and worksheets, are copyright protected. I do give permission to reproduce for personal and classroom uses a reasonable, limited amount of my content. You do not need to contact me to ask for permission. All other use is forbidden. For more details see the permissions and restrictions statement in the footer. Please use the Paypal button to make your donation.

Sunday, July 14, 2019

How to Paint a Picture of a Conch Shell

I am glad to share my how-to-paint picture of a conch shell, an art lesson, and a printable worksheet.


Here is a good practice project and skill builder for any young artist or beginner.

Remember to set your printer to color.

A WORD ABOUT PRINTING THE WORKSHEET
If you have problems printing see the "CLICK HERE" to go to my how to print page, where I have gathered together some tips and suggestions that may help. Some people prefer to use a PDF, so I have put a link below for a PDF. I hope this helps.

My how-to-draw worksheets are free for you, but they take a lot of my time.  I often have to create several images before I get the right one for an illustration.  It is a lot of work, but I am glad to have the opportunity to inspire others.

How to Paint a Picture of a Conch Shell, Lesson, and Worksheet


My worksheets are free, but your gift will go a long way to help me create more. Use the Paypal button to support my art lessons worksheets.
Thank you.


Thank You!

If the first file does not work out for you, the one below will be better. It is a PDF, and usually, you have to download a file before it works, but it is a file that you can delete after your image prints. 

CLICK HERE for a PDF file. 

ART SUPPLY LIST

You can use any watercolor paint. I prefer my small Windsor Newton paint set; it has a nice selection of colors. I also use Grumbacher Paints in the tubes.  You can easily find these at any craft store like Lobby Hobby or Michaels. (Look for coupons online.) You can collect lots of paintbrushes, but it is better at the start to keep it simple with a few small, medium, and medium-large brushes and a combination of flats as well as rounded paintbrushes. For these art lessons, I use Strathmore series 300 Watercolor paper. It is economical and available at Michaels and Hobby Lobby and online. 

PRINTABLE NOTES.


BEGINNINGS
Trace the design onto 140-pound watercolor paper; this is the heavy paper that will not buckle. If the paper is too thick to trace through, place it against a window with the light shining behind it, and then you should be able to trace it easily.


BACKGROUND
Wet the paper all around the shell. Be careful to not cross over into the shell. Mix some watery blue and lay it into the background. Mix a little red and black for the shadow below the shell.

LET THE BACKGROUND DRY BEFORE YOU GO ON.
Wet the brown areas with clear water. Mix brown and dab the color into the shell to give it a texture. Mix yellow-brown and dab some in for interest. Let the colors blend. Mix a VERY LITTLE black into the brown and dab in for the shadows. Add more color to the bottom, so it looks round.  You may need to tilt the paper, so the colors run down from the light area.
LET IT DRY BEFORE YOU DO THE PINK PART

THE PINK PART.
Wet the area for the pink part. Mix a very light red; it is best to have crimson, but regular will do if you have it. Place the red-pink color into the top of the shell, starting at the bottom edge of the top. Work the color up, so it becomes paler near the top. Use a tissue if you need to lift some color out. It may help if you tilt the paper, so it flows down to deepen the color.

DETAILS
Mix a watery lavender-red and put just a little where the shadows of the wrinkles are on the pink area.

If the spurs need a little more shadow, then mix a small amount of black with brown and lavender and carefully add shadows where needed.

Mix a little darker brown and dab rows on the side, do not make the rows straight but give them a slight curve to help the shell to look round.

Sign your work about an inch up from the bottom; that way, there is room for the frame.

(c) Adron D. 7/14/19
Please consider making a contribution through Paypal. Thank you.